Tuesday 4 October 2022

A very personal post. A sad farewell.

 Hello everyone,

there are some things yo uwish you neve rhave to write, and some you'd never expect to.

I've been silent, absent, and off for quite some weeks, and I believe there's an explanation I owe you.

Some dear friends know I'm a cat dad, and a very cat person. The love I have for my cats is something that is really hard to top. They're no different from being sons to me.

A few weeks ago Hamlet, the alpha boy of the group of three brothers (two blood related, one adopted) stopped being responsive. He began being extremely sleepy, and uninterested towards food. 

That put me on alarm mode. Especially because he's always been rather healthy.

He undergo exams and tests, and ultimately I received the news I didn't want to hear, but that in my heart was expecting.

"He's got a degenerative neurological problem, it will slowly cause his organs to turn off, one by one. It won't be pretty. Unfortunately there is nothing to do about it".

I had to take the only possible solution for my Hamlet. So, as I held him in my arms, I gave the consent for a sweet, swift and painless solution, injected with love.

As I lulled him towards the rainbow bridge, I hope he found peace, for there will be no shortage of love, at least here.

Unfortunately pain come in different shapes, and my time of grief translated into closing myself, staring at a blank pc screen, sorting pictures, listening to music, and silently trying to get back the pieces of a broken heart.

He showed me eight years of pure affection, from the very first moments, when he chose me at the animal shelter, bringing his brother with him.

To all my friends, I am sorry if I did not answer your messages recently.

To all the Harshlanders, I am sorry if I did not provide a decent customer service.

To all the event owners, I am sorry if I did not setup, or if I was a no show.

I am starting to heal, and the sad toughts are now making room for bittersweet memories and fond stories to tell.

There will definitely be a plaque for Hamlet by the little memorial island. It's still hard to get to work on it. But there will be one.



2 comments:

  1. So very sorry to hear of your loss of Hamlet. He is such a beautiful boy! May the love of his brothers and yours ease each other through the coming time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. our fur children are so very special and dear to our hearts...they are the demonstration of unconditional love on this earth...may you find peace in your heart knowing that Hamlet chose to spread that special love to you and you to him...

    ReplyDelete